Monday, September 20, 2010

When to Ask For Help

I am a month into the Fall semester. I am not doing well in my Spanish class. I need help. I have a list of Spanish tutors that I have emailed and am awaiting a response from. I hope I will be able to adequately shore up my sagging Spanish scaffolding enough to pass the class.

I hope that you don't allow being a nontrad to keep you from asking for help when you need it - from finding a tutor to asking questions of your professors and classmates. It's better to ask questions as soon as you realize you don't get it than to wait the entire semester to say, "I don't get it" because you were too embarrassed.

As a student, your fees pay for all sorts of resources on campus. Some of the resources available to students on my campus are: Writing labs, computer labs, student counseling services, private and/or free tutoring services, and student success services. I have counseled each of my three children to take advantage of the services available on their campuses. Those services are there for the students, the students just have to take advantage of them.

If you find yourself needing help, ask for it! Many profs are willing to read the rough draft of a paper, or ask questions, or advise on research projects. Don't be afraid to darken their door during their office hours. Form study groups with your classmates. Take advantage of every service you can - they are there for YOU, the student. Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I totally agree with this posting. It can take courage to ask for help, but sometimes a person just has to.

It sounds like a challenging class. Good luck with it.