Friday, April 9, 2010

Nothing is Ever Wasted

A couple years ago when I decided to return to school to finish up my degree, I discovered that about half of my previous college credits transferred. My advisor told me that there were a couple of classes I could "petition" for credit. That meant I would have to write to the school to obtain a course description and syllabus - for a class I took over 25 years ago! I opted to repeat the class. Did I waste my time? Should I have petitioned? I don't think so. I have enjoyed the opportunity to "update" my knowledge.

Yesterday, I signed up to take Spanish during the summer at the community college. UT has a policy that my last 30 hours prior to graduation must be from UT. That means that in order to take Spanish at PSCC and have it count, I need to take at least 15 hours my last two semesters at UT. Are you with me so far? I want to take Spanish at PSCC during the summer because a) it will be cheaper and b) it will be easier. I was only signed up for 13 hours in the fall. Now I have to find another class to take - one that will be relatively easy since I am taking things like Paleogeology and Hydrogeology to satisfy my Geology minor. At this point in time, many of the classes are full since registration has been going on for at least a month.

What class do I take? And will it be a "wasted" class - like fill-in fluff? An advisor in the Arts and Sciences Advising Department told me the class will not be "wasted" since I need it to make up the 30 hours I will need for graduation. In all, I only need 120 hours to graduate. By the time I am done, I will have 167 hours. I think I need to petition for a "General Studies" minor. Stay tuned . . .

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I am going through the same thing and it is very frustrating for me. No, education is not a waste but at the same time, I have spent the past 20 years in college and I will finally get my BA in 2011. Here is the killer; 4 years ago, I started going full-time. Because I was so out of touch with math, I had to take classes year-round for two years. I received my associates in 2 years but I considered it to be 3 due to the 2 extra semesters in the summers. I transferred to the University of Rochester having 68+ credits under my belt. UR only transferred 23 of those 68+ credits!!! I have an associates degree and they took me in as a first semester sophomore! They didn't transfer ENG 101 because I took it more than 10 years ago and they wouldn't accept my Astronomy class (GEO 105) because they said they didn't offer a similar class. I have been trying to petition the English class for the past 2 years and have been bounced around from department to department since. Apparently, nobody can handle this for me. This past week, while I was registering for my classes for next semester, I saw an introductory astronomy class being offered!!! WTF? That makes 6 credits that I feel should have been accepted. My goal for this week is to have them both added to my credits if it kills me! I thought the same thing as you at first...it would be good to update my knowledge and it won't kill me to take the extra classes. However, NOW I want them to count. In order for me to graduate "on time," I need to take 20 credits for both of my senior semesters. If I can get the other classes to transfer, I can knock one class off my list and possibly replace a 4 credit class with a 2 credit class. Not only will it save me a ton of money (each class costs $4500!) but at my age, taking 5 classes at once is just too much. My advice to you is to petition!!! This is time and money that you don't need to be spending! Good luck!!

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I totally agree with you about liking extra courses. There is something about learning that is addictive!! Especially with good teachers. Good luck at summer school, Zickbee!