Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Are We There Yet?

That's the question I used to hear on long car trips with my children. That's the question I am asking as this semester draws to a close. This semester has been especially intense for me because of my Spanish class and my Sociology class. I can't wait for this semester to end - just five more days!! And then I will be on the final leg of my "tour" - the last semester of my undergrad. What am I going to do when I no longer live at UT? It has been my home away from home for the last four, and especially the last two, years.

I wish I had some sage words of wisdom as I come to this point in my education, but all I can say is, "Please, let it end!" I love being a student, but not this semester. Besides school, I have had volleyball tournaments all over Georgia for the first two months of the school year, issues with ex-husband and an emergency surgery. What??!! But, I'm still standing. Whew!

So, as I bask in the glow of having completed a History research paper, knowing I am on the homestretch of my Sociology project (we present on Tuesday), and realizing this, too, shall pass in five days, I have a few hastily prepared words of wisdom for those who, like me, have had a rough semester and just want to be able to sit down with a cup of hot tea and relax!

1. Take a deep cleansing breath - in through your nose, out through your mouth. Close your eyes as you do this and do it slowly. Repeat as often as necessary to get yourself centered.
2. Take stock of where you've been and what lessons you can learn from that. I got my first F this semester. I have not gotten an F in years. It's rather humbling.
3. Declare the holidays a school-free time. Don't do anything schoolish until the end of the first week of January. Take this time to relax and refuel.
4. Look ahead a little bit at a time. I tend to get totally overwhelmed if I look too far ahead and then I get crazy. Take the future, as with everything else, in bite-sized pieces.
5. Be thankful for the here and now, for the who and how. Every day is a blessing, everyone in your life is a blessing. Focus on what matters.

I will be headed to Florida in a couple hours to spend Thanksgiving with my sister and her family. My children and I need some time away. It will be good to refuel our spirits and spend time with those we love. Hopefully, I will not hear, "Are we there yet?" on this trip. Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

Oh, Zickbee! You have been through a lot this semester. I hope it calms down next semester and if you have to re-take the class, it goes well too.

I hope you are feeling better after your surgery too.

I will miss reading this blog later on - - unless you will continue it after next semester. Maybe something about life after school? Or keep us posted on "what happens next..."

I will be back to check here next semester too. Good luck on everything, and I hope you had a great mini-break.