Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Warp Speed Syndrome

Is it ever possible to drop out of warp speed as a nontrad? This is the question I have been pondering as of late. My semester ended, but nothing slowed down at all. I am still moving at warp speed. My poor dogs get caught up in the stiff breeze I generate as I rush past them in the kitchen, throwing a cup of dogfood into their bowls. I guess as long as they get fed and have water . . . .

School update: I got 2 A's, a B+ and a B. That averaged out to a 3.75 GPA for the semester. I will have to wait a couple of weeks to see if I made the Dean's List. If you happen to hear a loud, "Yeee-Hawww!!!" at the end of the month, that would be me signifying that I made it. I will be attending summer school at night at the community college (Monday - Thursday) with the same teacher I had for Beginning Spanish II a year ago.

Homefront update: Megan graduates tomorrow. It is a bittersweet moment because she is my last child to graduate from high school. I will miss her desperately, but I am excited for the adventure that awaits her. Aaron, #1 son, has moved up his wedding to the weekend before spring break next year. These next twelve months will be busy indeed!

Work update: I am learning MS Publisher so I can produce the EECS Department's annual report, newsletter, graduate brochure and anything else they need done. I am also the Logistics Coordinator for another department conference this summer.

Looks like I am not going to drop out of warp speed anytime soon. I have a few tips to share for those nontrads who may find themselves in the same boat - suffering from WSS - Warp Speed Syndrome.

1. Your house: If you keep things picked up, it will look less cluttered. Adopt a "Once-a-Week" attitude - vacuum once a week, clean the bathroom once a week, dust once a week, etc. Do one task each evening. Saves time and headaches. Feel free to adjust the schedule if you have small children or a long-haired dog.
2. Your car- same thing - "Once-a-Week". Go through the car and toss the junk out once a week. Keep a plastic grocery bag in back to toss garbage into as you go. Treat yourself to a car wash every other week - going through the car wash may be your only time to slow down.
3. Your family - unfortunately the "Once-a-Week" thing will not work with them. You're going to have to go to "Twice-a-Week" - for a family meal, for a quiet family night, for going out to ice cream together. Try a different twist on things - eat out on the deck. Grilled cheese sandwiches on the deck can be elegant.
4. Your pets - kill two (or three or four) birds with one stone. Again, this is not a "Once-a-Week" thing. Taking the dogs on an evening walk will not only give the dogs their exercise, but you will get exercise, destress and you can take family members along. That's three birds. The fourth one is that you will be getting out and will get a chance to slow down just a bit - depending on the pace your dog keeps.
5. Yourself - this cannot be a "Once-a-Week" thing at all!! You are the only you that you have, so you need to take care of yourself. Functioning at warp speed can spell disaster if you do not do things like - take the time to destress and slow down, make sure you eat properly, get a good night's sleep and laugh.

What are the signs of Warp Speed Syndrome?
1. Everything is a blur - your spouse, the kids, the dogs, your friends.
2. You start speaking in cryptic sentences - like not finishing one sentence before starting another.
3. Your body slows down at night to go to sleep, but your mind is still moving like Jeff Gordon at Daytona.
4. You can't remember the last time you did whatever (not necessarily that whatever).
5. You stop at the stop sign waiting for the light to change.

Find a time to put the breaks on and just . . . . . do . . . . . nothing! My "put the breaks on" will come this weekend - taking my Mom to the Farmer's Market downtown, downloading with Megan once it sinks in that she is out of high school - forever, and enjoying time with my sons and their ladies.

I need to go get a car wash. Stay tuned . . . .

1 comment:

Caz said...

Can I just say that I find your blog so inspirational! Many a time I've logged on feeling somewhat deflated because of study, family etc and your words of wisdom really pep me up! Thankyou. Good luck for the Dean's list!