Monday, July 26, 2010

Blessed Are the Flexible

Ah, yes. Once again I find myself in that place of having to be flexible. The primary breadwinner for my family, my ex-husband, lost his job on Thursday. That means we have no health insurance. Not to panic. My children and I are all students, we can all get health insurance through school. However, that does mean I will need to work more hours next semester and drop a class. That means I will have to drop a class I really don't need but wanted to take all the same - Introduction to Cartography. Perhaps next semester will be better and I can pick it back up.

One of my favorite sayings, one that I should have tattooed on my bicep by now, is "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall bend and not break." Granted, there are some areas where one cannot be so flexible (like class offerings or times from semester to semester and year to year). However, there are many times when one can and often must be flexible. This is also known as "Plan B". I always have a Plan B. I think by now, for this next semester, I am up to Plan Q - things have changed that much. But that's okay - I know I will not break.

Outside circumstances sometimes happen to our plans and we have to be ready and willing, even though we are still going in the same direction, to take a different route. How about you? Have you had to take a detour recently, employ a "Plan B"? How does it make you feel? Yes, it can be frustrating. But remember, you will still get there, not just in the way you had planned. Hang in there, stay the course and be flexible. Stay tuned . . .

3 comments:

Nicki said...

Ahhhh..the famous Plan B. Only it is not like Plan B^10!! I don't know what plan I am on now and yes, it is frustrating to say the least. Because of last sememster's plan B, I will be taking 20 credits this fall so as not to have to put off graduation for yet ANOTHER semester. Frustrating? More like gut-wrenching and worthy of quitting. BUT I mustn't quit because this will NOT be all for naught. Hang in there! I am so sorry to hear of this misfortune but I am sure you will make it work and come out better in the end!!!! Good luck!!!

Kelly said...

I'm so sorry about that bit of bad news! But the fact that you're so philosophical about it and already have solutions figured out for the two biggest problems it presents is huge. That's what sets us nontrads apart from the masses, isn't it? I know you'll be fine... eventually!

Unknown said...

I think Plan B’s (and Q’s) are life’s way of reiterating that you should never lose hope; there’s always a back-up plan. The number of plans you go through will only continue to grow, but sticking to the ultimate goal of furthering your education is one reward that is worth thousands of drafted plans. Best of luck with everything – it sounds like you have a solid head on your shoulders and I’m confident you will break through Plan Q with vigor. One quote that helps me through unexpected tough times is from the late Jimmy Dean: “I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”