Monday, June 29, 2009

Procrastination Kills Passion

"Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today." That saying is totally antithetical to procrastinators. I am a procrastinator. I need to work on not being a procrastinator. My garage is my biggest procrastination project. At one point I was passionate about cleaning out my garage. Now, I dread the project.

Procrastination kills passion. If you are a passionate nontrad, don't procrastinate. Procrastination causes things like delays in studying for that exam, writing that paper, researching that thesis. It's so easy to procrastinate when you're tired, you've lost interest in the subject, or you don't feel well.

Don't lose your passion as a nontrad. The road to your degree can be a tad long, sometimes rocky and may even seem non-existent at times. Hang in there. Stay the course. Keep the goal in sight. That's why it's good to connect with other nontrads - either online through venues such as this, or in person through an Adult Student organization.

A friend of mine always asks me, "Do you still like school?" I tell him, with all sincerity, "I love school! I love being a student!" There are those days when it seems like I live at the library and my family is a distant memory, but I have learned to balance school and family.

As a nontrad, what do you need to do today? What have you been putting off? Don't put it off any longer. Get it done. Don't let your passion for school, family, etc. become a casualty of procrastination. Stay tuned . . .

2 comments:

flit said...

the worst is when you - or more accurately, I - let things pile up until they get so big they seem undoable

Anonymous said...

What is weird is that procrastination involves a sudden urge to do the ironing rather than read a text or begin writing. The windows suddenly need cleaning right then or the freezer just has to be restocked - stuff I can ignore when I have nothing urgent fot Uni to do!

I think some level of procrastination is ineviatable, but that I get better at getting over it these days!