Thursday, June 25, 2009

What if I Don't Do Summer School?

That's the question I asked my advisor when I first started back to school. She told me, "Well, then, you just have to spend more time in school." Drat! Looks I'll be doing that. Had to drop my summer school classes due to financial constraints in this economy (sound familiar?). However, that does not mean I am at home couch-potatoing it. No. I am knee deep in research for my senior thesis.

A while back, I posted a blog on what to do if you can't afford to go back to school. The main thing is that to keep your brain active and used to the researching, reading, and studying so it won't be as difficult to get back into the swing of things when you do return to school. The research is keeping my brain active.

I will be bischooling it again in the fall. Fun. If all goes as planned, I will be taking 15 hours. Wow! Now that is some serious full-time school! It will be a challenge, but challenges are good.

Part of being a nontrad is the myriad of challenges it represents. Older student returning to school, having to remember how to take notes, study, etc. I understand that challenging the aging brain is a good thing. Don't let that brain just sit on a park bench somewhere this summer! If you're not summer schooling, do something to challenge your brain! My mom used to make us do our multiplication tables during the summer so we'd be all geared up and "smart", ready for school to start at the end of August.

Fall semester is about 6 weeks away. I know that time will go fast! Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

flit said...

6 weeks away ...OMG are you trying to give me nightmares?

I'm just finishing my summer school course ... now I have a 50 page paper, a 20 page paper and a myriad of other stuff to get done before I start my phd.... *sigh*

I need more time!