Thursday, September 24, 2009

Brownies and Burgundians

As I sit down to write, I have brownies in the oven. The house smells wonderful. The only thing better than brownies is homemade bread. My daughter has a volleyball tournament this weekend. Her school is hosting the tournament, so we are in charge of the concessions. The brownies are for the concession stand. I hope the team does well. There will be 17 teams there - both high school and middle school. I am looking forward to a chance to show off Karns.

Now on to the Burgundians - Medieval History. I got a B+ on my first exam in that class. I was hoping for an A. I'm just a tad bummed. I got an A on my Cultural Geography exam, so I was very happy about that. Will get my History of Mexico and Geo tests back next week. Should be interesting.

I have to write a book review for my Medieval History class. I read "The Conversion of Constantine", edited by John W. Eadie. It is a collection of essays debating the conversion of Constantine - was it genuine or political? After reading the book, I tend to think Constantine's conversion was a political move - for a variety of reasons. There is a limited body of evidence for researchers to pull from, so it seems that everyone who writes about the subject is putting a different spin on the same information. It's rather droll.

I still love school, even though being on campus full time for the first time in close to 30 years is somewhat of a challenge. I still have to be Mom, Honey and friend! Wow.

I was talking to a friend of mine today that I've not talked to since the end of last semester. She was amazed at what all I am doing. I told her that I did not go to summer school, so I had some down time then. But when I dropped out of warp speed at the end of last spring, I think I got whiplash! I have to admit that as hard as it is, I am a warp speed junkie! I love being busy with school because I love learning. I enjoy the challenge of balancing school and life. Yes, I know. that sounds sick. I just love being a student!! Stay tuned . . .

No comments: