Thursday, March 25, 2010

May My Words Be Sweet, For Tomorrow I May Have to Eat Them

This is not my typical "useful nontrad stuff" post.

I had to talk to my oldest son today about some difficult subjects. I have been thinking all week about what I was going to say to him. Being a follower of Christ, I pray. So, I prayed before I talked to Aaron. I remembered the poster I had seen years ago of two prairie dogs eating dandelions with the caption, "May my words be sweet, for tomorrow I may have to eat them." It was a difficult conversation, but it was good. And my words were sweet.

We are behind in my Asian Studies class - no where near what the syllabus says. The prof is trying to catch us up to where we are supposed to be. Tuesday, he announced we would not have the exam we were supposed to have today. Several students asked if it could be postponed until the week after Easter. The prof looked at me and asked, "What do you think?" I told him, "Sounds good to me." He postponed the exam until the Tuesday after Easter. Why did the prof need my okay? Not sure, but I think it has something to do with my words to him. I have learned to speak kindly to and about a professor in and out of the classroom because you never know who is listening. Last semester, I did have to eat my words about one prof and they were not sweet at all. It was humbling.

Much has been said and studied about the power of words - not just the written word, but the spoken word as well. We do good to one another when we speak words of life to each other - genuine encouragement, praise, and admiration. You never know what affect a kind word will have on another person.

I have been more aware of my words lately. Perhaps it is because I am not under the negative influence of my husband any longer. I choose more often to say life-giving than words that discourage. Perhaps today you might encourage a classmate or a professor with life-giving words. Life-giving words are much sweeter. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: