Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Where Are You in the Journey?

I recently finished the first portion of my nontrad journey - I got my Bachelor's degree. Is a Master's degree in my future? Perhaps. Where are you in your nontrad journey - Thinkin' about it? Newbie? Been at it for a while? or Woo-hoo, I have one semester left!! I have been in all those places.

Each stage has its own unique characteristics:
1. Thinkin' about it: Can you really teach an old dog new tricks? Is it really like riding a bike? What will my friends and family say? Can I really do this? My advice: just do it!!
2. Newbie: Overwhelmed, nervous, may exhibit a lack of self-confidence, scared, uncertain, excited. My advice: You can do this.
3. Been at it a while: Ya, ya, what else is new?, knows better than to schedule an 8am class on a Monday, faces in class look familiar, jokes around with the profs. My advice: Keep plugging away, you're almost there!
4. Woo-hoo, I have one semester left: Have I taken all the classes I need?, been at it so long, I can write the paper in my sleep or two hours before its due, guess it's time to figure out what's next. My advice: Congratulations!! Start looking ahead.

Wherever you are in your nontraditional student journey, know that you are not alone. There is a whole community of nontrads out there - online and on campus. You CAN do this!!! The journey may seem long, but remember that the journey begins with a single step. Good luck to all those nontrads in summer school. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: