E. Sheppard sent me a comment. I thought I'd include her blog here: http://non-traditional-students.blogspot.com/. We non-trads need to stick together, yes? Life as a college student can be rough enough without throwing in a full or part time job, children and a spouse (and pets), and years since you've opened a textbook, written a paper or had to study.
But think of it this way:
1. Dealing with the Financial Aid Office is like dealing with your banker or mortgage company.
2. Sitting through a boring class is like sitting through a boring meeting.
3. Going to the Registrar's Office for your records is like going to DMV.
4. Writing a paper for class is like writing a monthly report for your boss.
5. Doing a Biology lab is like patching up Fido after he's had a run-in with the neighbor's cat.
6. Group projects are the same at school as they are at work - some folks work hard and others are slackers.
7. Studying should be a breeze! Think of all the homework you've helped your children with!
8. Geology class is like playing in the mud with your children.
9. You should ace Introduction to Computers if you've ever had to set up a home computer.
10. Eating in the Student Union is alot like eating at home - noisy and messy - but with more variety.
See? Non-Trads have practical life experience that traditional students don't have yet! Hang in there!!