Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Dogs

I am not a math person, but I am definitely a dog person. Luckily, one does not have to know math to own a dog. I have two. Jingle is an 8-year old black Newfoundland/Golden Retriever mix with a white spot on her chest. She loves the water. She's my exercise buddy - walking and running. She's also my shadow - where I am, she is there, too. We've had Jingle since she was pup. She was born on Halloween and we got her at Christmas. "Jingle" was the only name we could all agree on that sounded Christmasy, but not stupid. Her full name is Jingle Belle. She thinks everyone is talking about her this time of year. She's a very intelligent canine and I swear she knows how to spell.

Jack is a one year old mini-boxer/terrier mix who loves to chew on everything. We got him last Christmas as a rescue project. Boy, what a project! He house trained very well, just like Jingle. Both dogs whine when they have to go outside and "do the doggie thing". We've trained Jack to sit and speak. He has a very high, shrill bark. When he barks, Jingle howls. Jack is extremely social, to the point that whenever he's near Jingle or one of us humans, he has to be touching us. He's a very loving dog, too. He loves to be petted, have his ears scratched, his tummy rubbed, etc. He is quick to dole out kisses. He's not quite as intelligent as Jingle, but I'm sure he'll get there.

Jingle and Jack love to play together - wrestling, tug of war, chase, etc. They're great siblings. They're also great company. Jingle knows when we're about ready to leave the house. Her ears perk up and the look on her face is, "Am I going, too??!!!" (pant-pant). Jack looks up at us with his furrowed brow and says, "If she's going then I'm going!!" Jingle knows what it means when I lace up my running shoes - even if I'm just going to the gym. I have to remind her they don't allow dogs at the gym.

There are days when I swear my human children are easier to handle than my canine children. I wouldn't trade my dogs for anything, though. They make me laugh when they stick their heads out the car windows, ears flapping and tongues hanging in the wind. When I come home at the end of the day, Jingle is there to greet me with a big smile and vigorous tail wagging. Jack bounds down the stairs to have his ears scratched.

Roger Caras said, "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

No comments: