Thursday, April 23, 2009

Final(ly)

I can't believe this semester is just about over! Where has the time gone?? It seems that not too long ago, I was trudging through midterms. I told one of my coworkers that I love the beginning of the semester because I love the new classes. But I also love the end of the semester because I am so glad to be done with those classes!

Oh! Before I forget - a big shout out to Dr. Ernest Freeberg at the University of Tennesse for his book, "Democracy's Prisoner" (a biography about Eugene Debs), that was nominated for the Los Angeles Times Book Award. He is on his way to Los Angeles this weekend to see if he won. Go, Dr. Freeberg!

Elisabeth Shepperd has posted some tips on her blog for taking finals. They include things like getting to class early, getting a good night's sleep, making sure your calculator has fresh batteries, reviewing your notes, etc. One thing I have found most helpful is to review my notes one last time before the exam. Staying relaxed is another good thing. A couple organizations on campus here are sponsoring a "Relax Day" on Monday, April 27th - the first day of finals. They are going to be giving massages, having refreshments, etc. I thought that was a good idea. So may people stress out over finals. I figure that if I have done well in class the rest of the semester, the final is not going to be that big of a deal. However, if I am borderline, I will need to make an extra effort. Either way, I make sure I re-read pertinent parts of the text, review notes and take advantage of study groups.

Good Luck to all the nontrads, whether you are online or on campus, as you face the end of another semester - final(ly)! Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the first year I haven't had final exams, I just had the Dissertation this year - such a relief! I used to read, make notes, write practice essays, read out loud to a tape machine & play it back (mainly for poetry exams). I tried everything. I never did as well in exams as I did in a course work essay - nerves used to get me every time! Preparation is the key - make sure all pens work, a ruler to underline book titles, little things like that become big things if they get forgotton!
Good luck with yours :)