Whew! Seems like I just finished with one semester and summer school is right around the corner. Luckily, I am not scheduled until second session which starts July 6 and goes until August 7. That will be one intense month! My son starts summer school at the community college in three weeks. Both of us need to get prepared now. What do we need to do?
Getting Geared up For Summer School:
1. If this is your first summer at summer school, make sure all your records are in order - transcript from previous school, immunization records, etc. Different schools require different records, but most require transcripts and application. Don't wait until the last minute, even if you're unsure about your attendance.
2. Make sure you confirm your attendance for summer school. Some schools have this option in their online registration window. If you don't confirm your attendance, you'll be dropped.
3. Work out any financial aid or deferred payment plans. Neglect in this as well will cause your schedule to be dropped.
4. Watch for sales on school supplies or reuse supplies from last semester. If you still have half a notebook and a few pens left, use them up! You know the old saying, "Use it up, wear it out; Make it do, do without."
5. Get in the right mindset. Summer school is like running a sprint for 4-8 weeks - get ready for it. The regular semester is a marathon - you have more time. Not so in summer school. Psych yourself up to move fast, read quickly and study HARD! Invest in a Starbucks gift card for yourself.
6. Remember - IT'S WORTH IT! Summer school is for those classes you can't stomach for 16 weeks but could possibly tolerate for 4-8 weeks.
Forget the sandals, we're going to need a good pair of running shoes for summer school. You with me?? Let's go! Stay tuned . . . .