Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Unbelievable!

This Sunday, May 24, 2009, my oldest son, Aaron, will graduate with honors from Berea College in Berea, KY with a double major in Communications and German. He will be doing his Master's work at the University of Tennessee in the fall. I am so proud of him, I could bust!

However, I find it just a tad unbelievable that I have a child that old! It seems like just yesterday (pardon my stroll down memory lane) -
1. That I was enduring 12 hours of natural childbirth to get this child into this world.
2. That he took his first steps at the ripe old age of 9 months.
3. That he was in Mrs. Foxhall's preschool class at Covenant Christian School in Mustang, OK and sang the "Star Spangled Banner" at a school assembly at the tender age of four.
4. That he graduated kindergarten early so we could move to Tennessee.
5. That he scored off the charts in all his achievement tests in grade school.
6. That he got angry with me because I told him high school Biology would be fun and it wasn't.
7. That I taught him how to drive a stick shift.
8. That he worked at Pratt's Country Store.
9. That he started high school.
10. That he was inducted into NHS.
11. That he graduated high school.
12. That he was accepted at Berea College.
13. That he went to Germany - several times.
14. That he grew to love Berea College and the people in the community of Berea.
15. That he grew to love Ashley.
16. That he got accepted to UT for his grad work.

Wow. What a life! And he's just beginning! I hope and pray nothing but the best for my son as he takes this next big step in his life. I know I will cry when he graduates - the tears only another mother can understand - pride, joy, and a little sorrow that the little boy who stood on the stage in Oklahoma and sang the "Star Spangled Banner" now exists only in my memory. But that's a good thing. There are many good Aaron memories in the treasure box of my heart and many more to be put in there.

As he goes forth from this place, may he look back with fondness and forward with confidence. Now is the time to see if those wings work! I love you, Aaron!

Stay tuned . . .

No comments: