Friday, May 8, 2009

Is It Worth Obsessing About Your GPA?

I knew my GPA was going to take a hit this semester. And take a hit it did. By my calculations, my GPA went from 3.71 to 3.10. That's a huge tumble. Needless to say, I am bummed.

Is it worth obsessing about my GPA? One of my goals is to graduate with honors. Both my sisters did it and I want to do it as well. One friend told me that GPA doesn't matter as much as work experience. The majority of Masters' programs look at your GPA. A good GPA does matter in the world of academia.

I know I could have done better this semester - there were a lot of distractions (my job, my marriage, my Dad). I know I could have been more focused. I know that I am the only one who can do better and bring the GPA back up.

I don't want my GPA to become an obsession, but I want to do well. I think that's another thing nontrads deal with - Will I do well in school? Has it been so long that I don't remember how to do this school thing? I think there is a difference between obsession (all-consuming) and the desire to do well. An obsession is like a vacuum cleaner - sucking all of whatever/whoever it is up and never being satisfied. The desire to do well is motivation to do one's best. I want to do well in school. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: