Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Finish What You Started

I just read a post by Deb Peterson. In the post, she stated a statistic - 40% of people who start at a four-year university never finish. I was part of that statistic two and a half years ago. Now, after all the work I have put into my degree, I cannot imagine not finishing. I cannot imagine not walking (across the stage to receive my degree) either.

What are some reasons people give for not finishing school? In my case, I flunked out of college, had to move back home and get my 2-year degree in three years. By then, I was discouraged and burned out on school. A year later, I got married and started my family.

I have heard a myriad of reasons for not finishing school: children too young, aging and/or sick parents, finances, divorce, economy, etc. Life happens. But don't let life keep you from fulfilling your dreams. Yes, school is a tad more difficult when you've been away from it for a while. So start small - take one class at the community college.

If you're unable to enroll in school at this time, get into the habit of learning anyway. Get on the local school's website and find out what's happening on campus - music recitals, cultural events, guest lecturers, etc. Sign up for a class through your local YMCA (anything from crafting to exercise to writing). Start a journal or a blog and document your journey back to school.

A wise man once said, "A journey begins with a single step." Like Deb Peterson said - don't just sit there and gripe about not having a degree. Go out and get it! You can do it! Finish what you started. Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I really like this inspirational posting. My favorite part is when you tell people they can still stay motivated before they go back. They can keep a journal or just get back "into the habit of learning." I think that is great advice.