Monday, November 23, 2009

You're Never Too Old . . .

I just read Deb Peterson's post, ". . . an unquenchable thirst for learning new things". She uses a quote from another source that gives Bill Gates as an example of lifelong learning. Bill is always ahead of the curve in learning new technologies and staying one step ahead of his competition because of his desire to learn new things.

I love to learn. As a student, I need to have a certain number of hours of "upper level distribution" classes - 300 level or above. There have been several times when my husband has asked, "And what does this class have to do with your degree?" Degree-related or not, the ULD classes have been interesting. I have taken things like Development Economics, Cultural Geography, Human Origins, the Pre-History of Tennessee and other exciting subjects. They were not necessarily something I was dying to know about, but I am glad I took the classes. I have become the Cliff Claven of . . . stuff. I know just enough about a smattering of subjects to make me somewhat annoying. I love it!

You're never too old to learn. From what I have read, learning keeps your mind sharp and is a tool against the onset of Alzheimer's. So is reading upside down. That's fun!

Continuing Education does not stop with obtaining your degree. Lifelong learning is just that - a lifelong process. I am enjoying it! What about you? Encourage others to do the same. Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It doesn't have to be structured learning either, reading the quality newspapers is 'learning'about the world and current affairs. I never understand those people who declare they are too old to learn anything new. I think learning or taking in knowledge is too often confused with learning a new physical skill. I also envy you the opportunity you have in your education system to take on ULD classes. Our system in the UK is very narrow in terms of subject focus, especially at undergrad level.