Friday, June 4, 2010

Accomplishing Goals

Setting goals and working hard to accomplish those goals ought to be a priority in anyone's life. After all, how does one move forward if one does not set goals? What is there to strive for?

I set a goal this semester - to make the Dean's List. I wanted to be magna or summa cum laude. I ended up with a 3.58 GPA which was good enough for cum laude. I made the Dean's List! I accomplished my goal. Now that I know I can do it, I may just try to set the bar a little higher for the fall semester.

I am taking this summer off, as I did last summer. I was going to do my foreign language this summer, but my finances had to be committed elsewhere. I have the chance to work 40 hours a week this summer - I am going to take it so I can save some money. That means I will be taking 15 hours next fall. I am hoping I don't have to take that many classes in the spring - that I can get away with only 12 hours.

Setting goals gives us direction - what do we want to do? Where do we want to go? Setting goals may seem like an overwhelming task, but if you remember to break it down into bite-sized pieces, it won't be so overwhelming.

Start by setting small realistic goals, like taking that one class at the community college. Once you have accomplished one goal, set another small goal. Work your way up to larger goals. For example, in my first semester back to school I took one class - Statistics. My second semester back, I took two classes. The next semester it was three classes. I am not going to take more than five classes at a time.

Knowing that math is very hard for me, my goal that first semester back was to pass the class. I did - with a C+. I set other goals, like getting good grades, being able to write an "A" paper for my English prof (I wasn't able to do that, but I got an A for the class), and doing well on exams. Now, as a full-time student, my goals are the same, but different. I still want to get good grades, but part of those good grades is receiving recognition for my hard work - like making the Dean's List.

What are your goals? How are you going to accomplish them? Remember, start out small and grow into your goals. Don't take on the world first thing out of the gate! When you achieve that first small goal, celebrate! After all, you did it! Many people set goals, but never accomplish them. Be vigilant, be intentional, be strong and courageous! You CAN and you WILL accomplish your goals! Stay tuned . . .

No comments: