Thursday, January 21, 2010

And Another Thing . . .

Studentmum left a comment on my last post. One of these days, I really must get to England and visit her. I think we have a kindred spirit, though I could never Master's in Victorian Lit. I admire Studentmum for that. (A quick shout out to my buds at PSCC - you know who you are!! Hey!!)

I've been blogging a great deal lately about flexibility. While flexibility as a nontrad is important, so is patience. I've had a couple experiences lately where I've had to be patient while I wait on hold for the person on the other end to answer my call, while I wait for a professor to explain what they need, while I wait in one of the numerous lines that seem to define my life as of late, etc. Once that person answers my call (after having been on hold for what seems like days), how do I react to him or her? Am I short? Am I impatient? Am I angry? No, I should not be. That person at the other end of the line may be having a bad day. My negative emotion will just add to that. If I can smile with my voice (and say ,"Thank you."), it will make their day, and mine, much better.

I tell my children all the time that you catch more flies with honey that you do with vinegar (an old American adage). One of my favorite sayings is, "Lord, may my words be sweet, for tomorrow I may have to eat them." Even though I may be having really bad day, too, it is to my benefit not to take that out on someone else, but to stop, take a deep breath, pray (if that is how I believe) or go to my "happy place" and then deal with the situation.

Flexibility and patience - those two traits are good to have for they will take you over most of life's bumps. I'd like to add one last thing - humor. After all, if we didn't laugh about it, we'd probably cry about it. And what burns more calories and is better for you? Laughter!! Think of it as emotional celery. So, be flexible, have patience and laugh! Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

Flexibility, patience, and a good sense of humor are very important for nontraditional students. I totally agree with that.

It can be very stressful to be going back to school. For me, I found that I had to work very hard and study a lot.

I had to be flexible in order to juggle everything that needed to be done. I needed to be patient with myself, as I spent hour upon hour studying. The laughter came when I made new friends.