Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why So Many Books?

My classmates and I have asked this question often over the past couple of weeks. It seems as if the higher the course number, the more books the course has. For example, my Geology 201 class (biodiversity) has no books because the prof couldn't find one he liked. However, my Philosophy 374 class (the philosophy and religion of India) has 7 books while my history 476 class (Asian Studies) has 5 books! My History 474 class (Medieval Kingship) only has 4 books. That's a grand total of 16 books for 3 classes amounting to about $300 in books (groan!).

I should have gone online and rented the books, but I had several last minute changes in my schedule that precluded me from "planning ahead" this semester. Hopefully, my summer schedule will not be as fluid so I can actually plan to save money by renting my textbooks. Again, this is where flexibility, patience and humor come in. I look at this whole thing as a rather expensive character building opportunity. But, my education is worth it. Just think of how much (useless??) information I will know by the time I graduate! Ha!

I am sure I will be a well-rounded, flexible, thoroughly knowledgeable and patient graduate who is able to laugh at just about anything. (roll eyes) In the meantime, I have some reading to do. Stay tuned . . .

No comments: