Friday, January 29, 2010

Night Class

Jedi Mama recently discovered night class. If one is a working adult but also a student, one is familiar with the night classes at the community college or at the university. I've attended night classes at UT as well. One semester, I had an Anthropology class in the bowels of the football stadium. That was fun.

When I was working full time, night classes were my best friend. It seems as if the community college's night classes are 95% adult students (nontrads) and 5% regular students who are only taking the night class because all the day classes in that particular subject were filled and they were left with no alternative. At the university, it seems as if there is a smattering of adult students in the night classes, but the classes are mostly filled with regular students who, again, were left with the night class because all the day classes in the particular subject were filled.

I enjoyed night class. Most of my night classes were more relaxed and it seemed as if my classmates participated more. Of course, it is not fun when you have to compete with the basketball crowd for a parking space or you have to pay to park in a lot you have a parking pass for because of an athletic event. "Blessed are the flexible . . ."

Night classes are a good alternative to the day classes. However, there is one drawback - getting used to the schedule change for me is like getting used to the time changes in the fall and spring. It takes me a while to adjust (sometimes I have a hard time staying awake!).

If you're a night classer, hang in there! Been there, done that, have the bags under my eyes to prove it! Buy a round of Starbucks for your classmates . Stay tuned . . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily I have not had to do a night class, although some modules on the MA are run in the early evening. With 3 daughters who still need running here there & everywhere and a husband who commutes I have had to miss out on any module that runs into the later evening. It will be nearly impossible for me to do any of the MA modules that run 7-9, I wouldn't get home until midnight or would have to stay over. It's one of the compromises I have had to make over the years. So I am fingers crossed my choices for next years option modules will run in the day.

Anonymous said...

I am three weeks into culinary school as a non-trad student (have a previous degree and career in PR), and I feel you! In order to better take care of my 2yo son (and my allergy to early mornings), I take all late afternoon and evening classes. This can be hard when the class is 6 hours long, four of which are in the kitchen! But it is fun. The older child (7 DD) is now going to aftercare so I can either go to class or study/do homework. They have adapted quite well so far, although they're noticably more tired sometimes.

Good luck to you! Glad to find another non-trad! Read my post on the subject at http://arfoodie.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/the-non-traditional-student/