Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Slowly but Surely

Campus is starting to "wake up". By the time Dec. 11 rolled around (the day after the last day of finals), the place started to look like a ghost town. Campus activity had seen a drastic decrease. The week before Christmas was even worse because even the folks who worked on campus were gone - faculty, staff, etc. Everyone was beginning to take their annual leave.

This week, campus looks like someone who has just woken up from a long nap. Folks are beginning to return. Campus is stretching its arms and yawning, rubbing its eyes and getting ready for the new semester. I am waiting for Einstein's Bagels in the business building to reopen. They have a better (and cheaper) decaf mocha latte than Starbucks. I am also waiting for Smokey's in the UC to reopen. They have better food than Rocky Top Cafe. Just waiting for campus to finish waking up.

I still have to get books, supplies and figure out which building BEC is. I thought I knew most of the abbreviations for buildings on campus. Guess not. Ah, well. One learns something new every day.

I am learning that my canine children have no sense of time. I would love to be able to sleep until 6 (or later), but the canine children are up and fidgety at 5am. I have to get up and let them out in the cold. By the time they are taken care of, it's almost 6, so why bother going back to sleep? I would love it if they would sleep until 7am. Such is life with "children".

I just learned that some schools are already back in session, with exams starting as well. Yikes! To those of you who are in this situation, hang in there and have a great term! To those of us who have yet to start classes, get ready! It will be here before you know it!! Stay tuned . . .

No comments: