Monday, January 26, 2009

Focus

As a nontrad, my attentions are often divided between school, work and family. I usually do a pretty good job of keeping all the balls in the air and focusing on what needs to be done. This weekend, someone threw a chainsaw into my juggling. My Dad had an MRI on Friday. The doctors found more cancer in his brain and a tumor at the top of his spinal cord. He will undergo "all brain" radiation beginning later this week. My parents are in Arizona and I am here in Tennessee. That's a long way away. It's hard to be so far away from them at this time. I will go out there for Spring Break in March.

I'm not sure which philosopher it was who said, "That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." As I look down the course I'm running this semester, I initially thought it was going to be a typical cross-country course filled with the usual dips and turns. I did not expect it to be an obstacle course filled with unforeseen hazards. I know I need to stay the course and keep the goal in sight. I know I need to stay focused and help those around me (my family) to stay focused as well.

I also know I need to cherish each day I have with my parents and tell them often that I love them. I want my Dad to be around to see me graduate. If he's not, I know he's proud of me just the same. I want him to fight this thing. His family is not ready to let him go yet. I know there will come a time when we will have to let him go. And that's okay. He's been the best Dad anyone could ever ask for.

I don't know if it's proper to dedicate a semester to anyone, but I want to dedicate this semester to my Dad. I want to do my best because he's always done his best. I love you, Dad.

No comments: