Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Moving Right Along

School is well under way. I start class at the community college tonight. It will be the last of my night classes and will make my schedule full time. Whew! Thank goodness for late night library hours and Starbucks at the UT library!

I have several goals I need to accomplish this semester - go to the WBHOF interview, complete the Baker Scholar application process, work on and compete in the EUReCA project, take my GRE, make at least a 3.5 GPA. I will hand in my paperwork for the Baker Scholar program today. By the end of the day, two of my goals for this semester will have been accomplished. That's a good thing. Little victories are worth celebrating.

One of the interesting things about higher education is the diversity among the profs in the way they teach, the way they expect papers to be written, when and how they post grades, the way they formulate exams, etc. It makes me appreciate the ability to be flexible: "Blessed are they who are flexible, for they shall bend and not break." I am making mental notes of what to do and what not to do should I ever find myself in a teaching position.

On the subject of moving right along, I watched the inauguration yesterday (on my desktop) and was inspired by President Obama's inaugural address. Even though it was not a "fireworks" speech, it was a good speech nonetheless. The main point I got out of it was, "Even though these are hard times, we cannot give in or give up. We need to dig in and move on like we've always done as Americans." Whether one voted for Obama or not, now is not the time for divisiveness, but for unity and for moving forward.

Stay tuned . . .

No comments: