Saturday, March 28, 2009

Take Time for Yourself

I've heard those words many times - "Don't forget to take time for yourself." I don't think I'm very good at doing that. Maybe I think others will think I am selfish if I do take time for me? Or perhaps I feel that going to school is me time? As much as I still enjoy being a student, schoolwork is one of the those things I need set down and walk away from sometimes. Otherwise, I'll get burned out.

We all need that time of renewing and refreshing and refilling. If one is a Christian, one believes a daily quiet time, time spent in prayer or reading the Bible, or going through a good Bible study will be the source of that renewal. Still others, who are not Christian, may believe that time in nature, time alone with a good book, or with friends, etc. may be the source of that renewal. Whatever your beliefs, however you choose to be still and be refilled, take the time to do it!

I enjoy being alone in nature because that's where I see God the most. The beauty of nature is very renewing to my sometimes tattered soul. Listing to contemplative music is also very refreshing for me. When I was at my parents' house for spring break, I ran two of the four mornings I was there. When I got to the top of the mountain, I stopped and listened. I heard nothing but the buzzing of the bees, the call of the mourning doves and the sound of the small morning breeze. It was so quiet. It was very refreshing.

Other ways I take time for myself are: getting my nails done, wandering alone through the mall, walking through campus on a cool spring evening, walking my dogs, sitting out on my back deck with an ice cold glass of sweet tea or a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's. Taking time for yourself doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming, but it does have to be renewing, refreshing or refilling - the three R's of keeping one's sanity. Stay tuned . . . .

No comments: